Wednesday, March 14, 2012

The Least of These

Today is not a craft post.
Why?
Because instead of crafting Sunday I joined a local mission opportunity called God In Shoes.
 
God In Shoes organizes women to go out into their community and spread God's love by serving other women.
They give manicures, pedicures, spa pampering, hair cuts, massages, etc. Then leave the ladies with a gift bag with things like flip flops, slippers, lotions, towels and more.
 
It's not about pressing the women to talk about God or accept Him, it's about giving the love that we know Jesus would.
Matthew 25:40 - "The King will reply, 'I tell you the truth, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me.' "
 
This was my third year helping out with God In Shoes and I always enjoy it. I'm there to give to others but I too receive a blessing. 
 
God In Shoes goes out to retirement communities and women's shelters. Some of the women we serve have been abused by men, some have lead a rough life, some just have not been the recipient of love and care in a long time, if ever.
Many of us go get our nails done, go to the salon, buy a new pair of shoes, without a second thought. Many of those we serve are unable to even think of doing that sort of thing.
 
The last two years I have gone to a retirement home and given manicures to the ladies. One lady I met was in her 90's and a joy to chat with while I did her nails. Others have stated to me that in their 60-70 or more years of life they have never had a manicure. 
 
A question I often get asked is if I give manicures for a living. The answer is no, I do my own nails a couple times a year and I've been doing manicures for God In Shoes, one day a year for the last two years. No training, just a willingness to serve others.
 
You don't have to go to far away places to spread God's love.
You don't have to be an amazing speaker to spread God's love.
In fact, if you are only ever going far away to minister then you are neglecting the need that is right around you all the time.
There is an old saying that goes: "Spread God's message ceaselessly, and if necessary, use words."
 
As much as you think your life may be bad, there are always those who have it worse and you don't have to be rich to help others. I'm usually doing good to get by but I've volunteered my time many times in many ways.
 
Search for a local shelter or retirement home and ask if there is anything you can do to help. Work with your church to organize something, maybe even your own branch of God In Shoes.
 
Just a little of your time can go a long way towards sharing God's love.
There is a song called "Light Your World" by Newsong:
"Light your world
Let the love of God shine through
In the little things you do
Light your world
And though your light may be
Reaching only two or three
Light your world"
 
"whatever you did for one of the least of these, you did for me"
Don't think you have to be rich or go far away or be a word smith, you only have to be willing to humble yourself and share God's love. 


In the end, you may be just as blessed as those you serve!
The women getting ready to go out to serve

Spa treatment at the retirement home

Me on the left, giving manicures

  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for sharing your thoughts!