Wednesday, March 07, 2012

Easy No Fray Tote Bag

Okay, I'm packing up my items for Craft Hope tonight so this should be it.
For a little while at least!
Mail your bags and hats for Craft Hope no later then March 12th. Check their blog for address.

This is a quick and simple tote bag that would be great for coloring books, church quiet activities, etc.

I started with a piece of fabric that measured 32 inches by 13 inches.

I folded the fabric in half and sewed up both sides. (your fabric should be wrong sides together for this sew)

Then I turned it inside out and sewed up the sides again, this time sewing in enough to encase the edges that had be previously sewed.

When turned back right side out the edges of the fabric was now sewed into hiding and would not be fraying or giving away.

Next I cut two pieces that were 13 inches long by 2 inches wide. 

I ironed the long edges over then sewed on a one and a half inch wide piece of ribbon. This added an extra pretty and uniqueness but it would also work to just cut your strips about 4 inches wide and folding in half to sew.

For the top I folded down about a half inch then folded again and sewed around. 

I sewed the handles on with many passes about 2/3rds across the opening of the bag.

If you have an appliqué that would match your recipient you could iron it on the outside. Or sew on a small pocket for things like pencils or the like.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for sharing your thoughts!