Friday, March 16, 2012

Deliciocity Friday: Pi Day Pie

This past Wednesday was Pi day.

Think back to math class, skip over the horrible memories of bad grades and go straight to that weird wavy table looking symbol.
The one that was supposed to help you figure out the circumference of a circle. 
Pi=3.14 (and it goes on and on)

So March fourteenth, 3/14 is pi day.
How best to celebrate pi day?
With pie of course!!
Math never tasted so good!
 (don't ask me the circumference of my pie, I did good to remember the 3.14 bit!)

I like pie once in a while.
My hubby loves pie. His statement is; "I only like two types of pie. Hot pie and cold pie!"
So of course it made his geeky, sweet loving day that I made apple pie for pi day!

Now I cheated and used a can of apple pie filling (though added some extras to it) but I made a crust from scratch that was awesome! (and fairly easy)

Ingredients:
2 and 1/2 cup all purpose flour
2 sticks butter or margarine
1 tbsp sugar
8 tbsp cold water

Have your butter be very cold, I took one straight from my fridge, the other stick just a couple minutes out of the freezer.

Put the flour in a medium sized bowl and cut the butter into slices and add to flour. Use a pastry cutter or strong fork to cut the butter into the flour.
Add the sugar and cold water and mix.

Put out onto a flat surface and using the palm of your hand mush the flour together and into a ball.
Separate into two equal sized balls and set one aside.

Roll out the first ball till about 1/8 to 1/4 inch thick and place in bottom of a pie pan.
 Pinch the edges up around the top of the pan. Use a fork to poke the crust all around.

Add your filling then roll out the second ball to same thickness and place over top the pie.
Pinch the edges with the bottom crust edges then use your fork to crimp the edges.
 Poke a few vent holes into the top of your crust.

Bake at 425 degrees for 15 minutes then at 350 degrees for 40 minutes.
(You may want a flat baking sheet on the shelf below your pie so that if the filling bubbles up and out it will hit your sheet, not the oven floor. It's easier to clean up that way)

I know I did a few things different then most recipes will tell you.
Most recipes for pie crust say use unsalted butter and add salt. I used regular salted margarine.
Most crust recipes says refridge the dough for at least an hour after working it into a ball. The closest I did to that was place a couple ice packs under the glass cutting board I was using and let it sit for a couple minutes before rolling.

Even breaking some common pie crust rules, this was one of the best crusts I ever had!
I took it out of the oven as soon as the 40 minutes was up and the crust didn't burn and get horribly dry like many do.
It was flaky yet moist.
Sweet but just barely.
Absolutely delicious!

I apologize for there not being many pictures but most of pie making is messy and there was no way I was going to pick up my camera with my nasty hands!   

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for sharing your thoughts!