Friday, April 06, 2012

Deliciocity Friday: Multi-colored Cupcakes

Another treat I made for the Splatter Paint Party that I posted about previously, is multi-colored cupcakes.

I used a white cake mix because all over online they say to use white for bright colors.
If I did it again I'd ignore everyone and use yellow.
White isn't as flavorful as yellow and yellow would make stronger colors with less dye added.

Ingredients:
Boxed cake mix
Ingredients listed on box
Multiple small bowls
Food coloring

I also made a filling that while looked awfully runny ended up working fine after sitting in the cupcake for a bit.

I made the mix as directed except didn't beat for quite as long as directed because you have to mix more to add the dye and you don't want to over mix.

Once mixed I scooped the batter into multiple bowls. I did just the four base colors in an average food dye box so put some batter into three other bowls.

I added dye to each bowl then carefully hand mixed it in. Probably at least 5-6 drops per bowl.

Then using a tablespoon I scooped one scoop at a time into cupcake liners. I alternated different colors so that they weren't all alike. 


Then baked.

Filling:
4 oz Cream Cheese
1/4 cup powdered sugar
1/8 cup milk

After the cupcakes had baked and cooled I used a sharp knife to cut a cone out of the top of the cupcake. 
I mixed the filling well then scooped it into the well.
I cut the top off the cone and placed the top back onto the cupcake.
(the insides you get to eat!)

For the frosting I used gel food coloring by Wilton and a paint brush to brush the color thickly onto the inside of a piping bag.
Then filled with white frosting and added my frosting tip.
You'll need to squeeze some frosting out to get it to go from solid white to multi-colored.
(pst, squeeze it onto the cupcake centers you cut out then eat later!)

Forewarning, there is a strong chance that all this coloring will color your tongue. 
Not great for office lunch but really great if you're a kid at heart and enjoy that sort of thing!

Happy Eating!  

P.S. Just had to share with you the kitchen helper I often have. 

Sure he doesn't keep me from messing up but he does cheer me on with a happy meow throughout my baking! :)

1 comment:

  1. I love your colorful cupcakes! I really want to try the multi-colored frosting, it looks a little intimidating, but I love the effect! I bet the cupcakes were yummy too!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for sharing your thoughts!